Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a KCF?
- What if I don't have an expiration date to put on my KCF?
- How can I drop off my completed KCF?
- How can I return my key(s)?
- How/When do I pick up my key?
- How can I find my key number?
- Do I have to pick up my requested key myself? Can a student/colleague pick up my key for me?
- I am locked out of my office or lab and it is after working hours. What should I do?
- I am locked out of the building because my Action Card isn’t working and it is a weekend or a holiday. What should I do?
- I have a maintenance request that needs to be put in right away, and it is after hours and/or I can’t find the Building Representative. What should I do?
- I have a maintenance request that is not an emergency, but I want to tell the Building Representative about it. What should I do?
- Why can’t I drop off my KCF with the Buildinging Representative if I am in Biology or CAPS?
- How do I reserve the Shelby Courtyard or any ‘outside space’ around Shelby and Science & Engineering?
- How do I make a reservation for one of the Lloyd Hall classrooms for my event?
- How do I make a reservation for the Lloyd Hall third floor conference rooms (307 and 317)?
- Why do I get Bama Dinning when I try to call Rachel or vice-versa?
- Where can I see the class schedule for Shelby, Lloyd, and Science and Engineering?
- Where can I see the event schedule for the Shelby Rotunda, Courtyard and Catering room?
- Is it possible to book the Science and Engineering Courtyard?
- How do I get into one of the Lloyd Hall classrooms after hours or on weekends?
- How do I get into one of the first floor Shelby Lecture halls when I don’t have a key?
- How do I book a Greek-related event in Lloyd?
- My class is canceled for the day; can someone hang a sign on the door for me?
- What time does Shelby Hall unlock and re-lock?
- What time do the Science & Engineering doors unlock and re-lock?
- What time do the Lloyd Hall doors unlock and re-lock during the school week?
- A Key Control Form. It's intended to keep track of who has access to what spaces, via physical key or Action Card.
- Give yourself until the end of the semester or the year if your supervisor doesn’t tell you. You can always extend the date as needed, and you can always turn in keys early.
- Bring it to Rachel's office (Shelby 1032), slide it under the door if she is not in, or inter-campus mail it to her at 870336.
- Please note that KCF's should come to Rachel via the main offices for Biology (SEC 1325), CAPS (Shelby 2010) and New College (Lloyd 201) so please drop off your completed forms with them, and they will get the appropriate signatures and bring them to Rachel.
- If Rachel is not in, there is a locked drop-box outside her door with instructions for returning keys.
- If the key is one you checked out for your event and is on a white numbered key tab, you do not need to put it in an envelope when returning. These keys must be returned the same day as your event.
- If you can’t make it during Rachel's listed business hours (7-12pm, or 1:30-3pm), you should arrange in advance to pick up the keys, otherwise your event will be considered cancelled.
- If you stopped by and Rachel wasn’t in her office, and there is not a note or indication of when she will be back, she is probably somewhere close by and will return shortly.
- Feel free to contact Rachel before you come over, and she will make every effort to insure she is at her desk when you arrive.
- When you pick up your key(s) you will be asked to sign and date your Key Control Form in the presence of the Building Administrator or a representative. This applies to everyone on campus with no exceptions.
- Please contact UAPD at 348-5454 and ask them to call the locksmith for you. There will be a charge so you may want to consider contacting one of your colleagues first.
I am locked out of the building because my Action Card isn’t working and it is a weekend or a holiday. What should I do?
- Have you requested building swipe access? If not, you need to wait until regular working hours and bring Rachel a completed KCF requesting swipe access.
- If you have swipe access, try a different door, as the door might be broken. Please email Rachel the date and time this occured so that she can try to insure it doesn't happen again.
I have a maintenance request that needs to be put in right away and it is after hours and/or I can’t find the Building Representative. What should I do?
- If after hours please follow the Emergency Service Guide.
- If it is during regular business hours (and Rachel or Chance is not available) contact your department. Biology and New College prefer that you contact them directly with any work requests so they can keep a record. All requests will then be forwarded to Building Administration.
I have a maintenance request and it is a non-emergency but I want to tell the Building Representative about it. What should I do?
- Email, call, or write it down and slip it into the lock-box outside Rachel's office. Biology and New College prefer that you contact them with any work requests so they can keep a record.
- Biology and CAPS keep copies of all requests. Drop off the completed form with them and they will bring it to the Building Administrator once they make copies. Also, since you need signatures from their offices granting approval, this will be faster for you.
How do I reserve the Shelby Courtyard or any ‘outside space’ around Shelby or Science & Engineering?
- You can gain permission by filling out the form here or calling Donna McCray at 348-6777. Donna will confirm with Rachel that you have permission from Building Administration, and will then approve your use.
- Contact the Registrar's Office. The rooms are unlocked during normal class hours so you won't need to contact Rachel for access unless this is an evening or weekend event. For Lloyd Hall building hours click here.
- Contact Rachel with the date, time frame, and a description of the event. She will then book the event if the room is available and get back to you.
- Bama Dining is 348-6816; Rachel is 348-6818.
- Coming Soon!
See Below #24Return to top
- Yes, first check with Rachel. If it is available, contact Donna McCray at 348-6777. Donna will then confirm with Rachel that you have permission from Building Administration and will approve your use. You can see potential availability here.
- Classrooms are unlocked during normal class hours. Contact Rachel to request swipe access after hours. Be sure to tell her why and how long, and to give her your CWID number. Please note, you will need to reserve any extra time in the rooms by emailing the Registrar's Office first.
- If you have made a reservation to use the room then you need to pick up a key from Rachel at the time agreed upon when the reservation was made.
- If the key is not picked up by then, and Rachel has not heard from you, the reservation is considered canceled and no one in the building will let you in.
- Greek-related events need to be processed and approved by Alma Fuller. She will then book the event for you with the appropriate people.
- Yes, just email Rachel the form you want hung up, the room number, and the time it should be hung up. It is recommended that the sign lists the course name and/or number plus the date time of the class. You can download a sample canceled class sign here.
- Weekdays, Shelby's parking lot doors unlock at 7am and lock at 9pm. Rotunda, courtyard and breezeway doors unlock between 7-7:45 and lock at 9pm. On holidays and weekends, the building is swipe access only through the parking lot entrances for authorized personal.
- Weekday SEC hours are 7am to 9pm. All doors automatically open & close at these times. On holidays and weekends, the building is swipe access only through the parking lot entrances for authorized personal.
- Lloyd Halls doors are unlocked as follows:
Front doors: 7am - 7pm.
Side doors: 7:30am - 9:15pm.
Auditorium (LY 38): 6:15 am - 6pm.
- Sundays from 12:25 - 6pm the front doors can be opened via action card by all UA students who need to go to the Writing Lab.